Monday, January 28, 2013

Worth the Wait


She came 9 days late, but it was absolutely worth the wait. Miss Jane Elizabeth was born on Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 1:32pm weighing 7 lbs. 12 oz. and measuring 22 inches long.

On Thursday morning, around 5:00am, my water broke. I took advantage of the fact that I wasn't having contractions yet and got a shower, did my hair, and put on make up. If I'm going to give birth, I at least have to look good while doing it, right? Funny what goes through your mind.

We got to the hospital a little before 7:00am. By this point I was having some mild contractions, but nothing bad. At 7:30am they gave me a little Pitocin to get things going. They weren't kidding. Things got really intense, really fast. I was terrified of the idea of getting an epidural. So my plan all along was to just see how labor went. If it got bad enough, I would get one. Within an hour of starting the Pitocin I realized I was going to need it and need it fast. So they started the IV fluid and I just had to wait it out. You have to go through about 1.5L of IV fluid before they will give the epidural, but they said I should have the epidural in about an hour. I remember looking at the clock, it was around 9:00am, and thinking, can I make it until 10:00am? It was the most intense hour of my life. Any fear I had about an epidural was gone. Just before I got the epidural the doctor came to check my progress. I was about 6cm dilated. The doctors and nurses were all a little surprised with how quickly that happened. And I realized I had made it more than half way through labor without an epidural. Once I got the epidural I was like a new woman. I was able to actually enjoy the birth of my sweet baby girl. By 12:30pm they said I was ready to start pushing and one exhausting hour later we had our baby.

God is awesome and we are so thankful for this healthy little baby girl.

Wasnt' kidding. Got all dolled up before we left for the hospital.

This labor thing isn't so bad.
I take it back. This sucks.
Post-epidural: This is much better.
It's a GIRL!
First family photo

7 pounds, 12 ounces

She's got her Daddy's feet.

Daddy's little girl. This just melts my heart.

4 comments:

  1. She is amazing - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry... What a beautiful story of your birthing day! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I love this post! Congratulations on baby Jane! She's beautiful and you look fabulous as a Mom. :)

    ps. Love the robe. Seems we've got matching ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, love the robe. I still use it ALL the time. Seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Mallory's wedding and dancing to Miley Cyrus. :-)

      Delete