Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Black Bean & Quinoa Bake

Is it labor-inducing? We'll see.

Is it tasty? Absolutely.

I'm finding it hard to go grocery shopping these days. Our diet is based on lots of fresh produce and I HATE throwing out food. So how do you shop when you don't know when you will be going to the hospital and knowing you will be there for at least 48 hours? It's challenging. I've been making almost daily trips to Kroger. I end up standing in front of the bananas that I use in our smoothies every morning wondering if I should buy 2 bananas for the next morning, or will I go in to labor and end up having to make banana bread in few days. It's funny, I know, but that is honestly what goes through my mind.

Today I'm tired, and annoyed that I'm still pregnant, so needless to say I didn't make it to Kroger to buy the fresh things we needed for a nice, healthy dinner. Thankfully I have a well-stocked pantry and had all the makings for one of my favorites, black bean & quinoa bake. We always have quinoa and a can of black beans on hand. I also happened to have half a bell pepper in the fridge, but I usually have half bell pepper chopped and in the freezer from previously making this dish.

So here's what you need:

1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt & pepper, to taste
olive oil

And here's how you make it:

Pre-heat your oven to 375 F.

Saute onions and bell pepper in a little olive oil with ground cumin, salt, and pepper until soft.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, black beans, sautéed veggies, and 1 cup of cheese. Place in a lightly oiled baking dish (approx. 9x9), and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.

Bake for 30 min., or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.

And that's it. Easy, easy, easy.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment