Sunday, January 16, 2011

Villa Pamphili

Villa Pamphili is a little slice of zen in the city. It is the largest public park in Rome and it is just a quick 5 minute walk from our house.

It was my escape when I was here as an intern and it is still my escape today. It is where I go to clear my head, it is where I go to think and pray, and it is where I go to enjoy the fresh air. And, not to mention, it is where I go to combat my never ending battle with pasta and cheese. It has been so cold and unbelievably rainy here that I actually forgot, well almost, about the sense of peace that a little fresh air and sunshine can bring. But, thank God, I rediscovered it.

The past 2 weekends I have found myself power-walking to the park, running a few miles, sitting and soaking up the sun and fresh, cigarette-free air and just being still. This is where I feel like I can belong. No one in the park knows that I don't speak Italian, no one knows I'm scared out of my mind because I have no idea why I moved myself and my husband 5000 miles away from home, and there I feel a million miles away from the everyday annoyances of living in a new and foreign place.

The past 2 weeks have been so hard. Jim is still in the US, and won't be back until Wednesday. I've cried a lot, I've almost packed up and moved home, and I've cursed at Rome for being so complicated and frustrating - I've completely broken down. And, while all this is happening to me, Jim gets to be at home with his family, friends & pets. He gets to enjoy non-Italian food and good 'ol American football...Auburn-style. What can I say, I'm extremely envious.

But now, looking back on this time alone, I think it needed to happen. I think I needed to be broken and reminded that I am not in control - He is in control and He has a plan. I'm still trying to adjust to life as a non-planner, and it is not easy.


1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Emma. You're right where God wants you and Jim will be there soon! Love, your Cousin Connie

    ReplyDelete