Monday, January 10, 2011

Becoming a Non-planner

I have no idea what the future holds for Jim & I. We have no idea how long we will be in Rome and every time friends and family ask I get stressed out. I tend to blurt out 3-5 years, just because it is far enough away that I don't really have to think about it. But, in actuality, I can only plan my life in short 6 month spurts because I am only a consultant. So for now it's Rome, then in July it's back to Auburn for contract break, and then in August, who knows? Maybe Rome again, maybe someplace new. There are so many things that the decision depends on. Will Jim find a job? Will we be able to finally feel like Rome is our home? Or, will we succumb to the intense feelings of homesickness?

I came across this verse that gives me comfort as I try to adjust to my new life as a non-planner:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but everything through prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ." Phil. 4:6

It reminds me that I don't need to stress about where we will be in 6 months. I need to pray about it and keep focusing on the tasks at hand. God's plan is perfect and it will be made abundantly clear the direction we need to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment