Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Something I love about Rome

The produce.

It's cheap. It's abundant. And it makes me extremely happy.

Citrus is in season right now. That means oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, clementini and arance rosse (clementines and blood oranges). I'm still waiting for the blood oranges, they are late comers in the citrus season. But clementines, oh man, I think I've just about eaten my weight in them.

My obsession, or maybe better stated, addiction, started while Jim and I were in Nice in November. I saw these beautiful little gems piled up in the Cours Saleya market and I bought a few. It was love at first bite. They were so sweet and delicious. When we got back to Rome we started buying them buy the kilo. One Saturday we bought un kilo di clementini for only €1.50. The entire kilo was gone by Monday morning. We went back to the market shortly after and bought 3kg more...a mere 6.6lbs. of fruit. We're still keeping up the habit and will for the foreseeable future.

I'm dreading the day when my beloved clementini are no longer in season, but I know there will be a whole new crop of goodies to get hooked on - like fragole, mirtilli, lamponi. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment