Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Saying Goodbye

To those not part of the Auburn family they were just trees. But to those who bleed orange and blue the trees were part of the family.

Some of my first (and favorite) memories of Auburn after moving here in 1996 were of rolling the trees. And, at every life milestone I wanted a picture of me at the trees...high school graduation, college graduation, getting engaged, getting married, having a baby. Don't ask me why, I just thought it was important to have my old friends in the pictures.

So today I'm sad.

I'm sad that my little girl won't be able to roll the oaks after watching an Auburn game with her Daddy.

I'm sad that she won't be able to take pictures with the trees at her big milestones.

I'm sad that this is the end of a beautiful tradition that was uniquely Auburn.

I walked downtown with my sweet Jane to say goodbye to the oaks that have called the corner home since forever.

Downtown was quiet. Eerily quiet. It was incredibly depressing. I got there just after both trunks had been cut down. All I could think was, "Damn, this sucks."

Now the trees are gone.

Life will continue.

New traditions will be made.

But, every time I take Jane to Toomer's corner I'll have to remind her that once upon a time two beautiful oaks stood there and we used to cover them with toilet paper. She'll think it is strange and I have no doubts that she will whine about having to hear stories from her dorky parents. But, I will tell her anyways and I'm sure I will still take hundreds of pictures of her at my favorite corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment