Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why I Care

I have the most amazing job in the world. I get to work with students from all around the world who are passionate about making a difference in the world. Not only are they passionate, but they are actually doing something.

Lately I've had the pleasure of working with a group of students who created something called the Why Care? Campaign. The concept is simple. Before you can take action, you first have to realize why you care. The students set out on a quest to ask people to share why they care about hunger with the goal of collecting 10,000 by World Food Day on October 16. I was there to provide the tech support - creating the website and the graphics for the campaign - along with promoting the campaign amongst the 300+ universities involved with Universities Fighting World Hunger. So far, the results have been nothing short of amazing.

Most of you know that I care about hunger, especially since it is my job to care...literally. But for me, it goes a little deeper and is much more than a job. Here's why I care:

In 2002, when I was just 15 years old, I had the opportunity to go to Haiti on a mission trip with my church youth group. I some how got my parents to agree to let me go and on a hot day in July boarded a plane to Miami and then on to Port-au-Prince with my now husband and Father-in-Law, plus 6 other students and 3 adults. I remember getting off the plane and feeling like I had just opened the door of a hot oven - the heat and humidity hit me like a ton of bricks.

I really had no idea what I was getting in to. It was my first time traveling out of the US. I knew that Haiti was a poor country, one of the poorest in the western hemisphere. I knew that it had struggled throughout its history with political disputes. I knew all of this, but didn't really think about it before I got there. I never thought about the lasting consequences of hunger or its devastating effects on the success, or failure, of a country. Haiti was about to open my eyes and completely change my world view.

While in Haiti there were many, many experiences - some down right frightening, others simply heartbreaking - that opened my eyes. Though we had things stolen and were completely surrounded at times I never once was mad at the people. I realized it was all from an act of desperation to provide for their families. Something that touched my heart, but that I could never really understand until now, as I prepare to have a family of my own.

Haiti set me on my path to do something to help others. At 15 I wasn't sure what it would turn out to look like, but I knew I would do something. I went on several more mission trips throughout high school and during college I was very involved with the Committee of 19, the Auburn chapter of UFWH. But it wasn't until after my junior year of college when I had my internship at the World Food Programme headquarters in Rome, Italy that I realized I didn't need to be physically feeding people to make a difference. My role as a humanitarian would be as an advocate, inspiring others - specifically students - to make a difference. As one person I knew it was going to be hard to feel like I was making an impact, but if I could inspire an entire generation, real change was within reach.

The smells and the sounds of that country still haunt me. But I am thankful for the experiences that molded me and shaped my life. Haiti ignited my passion and helped me realize why I care.


1 comment:

  1. This is great! I've seen your photos on Facebook, but I've wanted to know more about the "Why Care" campaign. And this, what you're doing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete